Find us on Google+ Family and Wedding Lifestyle Photography Stuart, Florida: Painted Vintage Posing Couch

Family and Wedding Photographer Stuart, FL

Carla McMahon of Moxishots Photography is an on-location Family & Wedding Photographer based in Stuart, FL and serving the Treasure Coast. Specializing in Lifestyle inspired sessions for families, seniors, engagements, and weddings


Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Painted Vintage Posing Couch

A few months ago I was at a cross road with a couch that we had purchased at a yard sale.  Should we put it out by the road or could I possibly use it as a posing couch?  So I did a little research and came up with a solution.......I painted it!


It was pretty easy in the end, especially after I figured out a few tricks.


Here is what the couch looked like before.  


To start I made sure I swept it taped the wood legs.  I tested it first on the cushion (shown above).  I used regular wall paint but you could also use acrylic.  Mix 1/2 paint and 1/2 textile medium that you can buy at the craft store.  Textile medium is what you use to turn paint into fabric paint.  Once that is done you may want to add a little water to it to keep it thin.  



You are trying to get the fabric to soak a little bit of the paint up so it is not just sitting on the surface.  *Very important:   Use a spray bottle of water to mist the fabric first to get it wet before you start to paint, it will absorb it better.  Then just paint it, taking your time to get into the nooks and crannies : )


Because of the texture of the fabric on my couch I ended up just mixing my paint with the water in another spray bottle and spraying it on and wiping it into the fabric with my hand and a sponge.


It was a little messy but in the end it was a great way to save a very cool piece of vintage furniture.


Detail of Fabric and the nail heads that I added for some pizazz.

And drum roll please.........


Great way to get a fun colored posing piece.  





Blog History

about me

Stuart, Florida
Contact Moxishots Photography at (772) 497-6694